MainePB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maine Tourny Series?

+15
Stanks
Fluffy282
Northern Xtreme
short207
pbballer33
Sniper71
ref
trum_15
Justin
Poppy
maineiacpballer
Corey
A.Perry#21
JSmith
acegoodrich
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Maine Tourny Series? - Page 2 Empty Re: Maine Tourny Series?

Post by Sniper71 Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:23 pm

No the time to strike is now actually, there are people all over the state that play and arent on here or just stay as guests, If we can build a base right now it will only flourish in the future if and when there is a economic improvement across the board.....
Sniper71
Sniper71
Dark Lord
Dark Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Northern Xtreme Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:43 am

The key will be to keep the costs down, cheap entry fees, cheap paint, you dont have to offer a bunch of prizes, but you might be able to get a few from the paint supplier.
I also think three man is the way to go at first. It is far easier to form a 3 man than a 5 man team.
If you have a 5 man all you need to do is grab one more and form two teams.
Think of it from the customers perspective, you want it to be affordable, safe, and lots of fun. You want them to come back, and bring friends!
Northern Xtreme
Northern Xtreme
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by A.Perry#21 Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:37 am

this is starting to take off BETTER then I could of Hoped....... Let's make this happen!

MainePB.com presents the "207 Super Summer Series"
A.Perry#21
A.Perry#21
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=100000208149548

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy282 Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:32 am

You all know where I stand on this Twisted Evil
Fluffy282
Fluffy282
Forum Prodigy
Forum Prodigy

Http://www.myspace.com/fluffy282

Back to top Go down

Post by JSmith Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:45 am

Fluffy282 wrote:You all know where I stand on this Twisted Evil
I don't.....
JSmith
JSmith
Mod & Supporting Member
Mod & Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy282 Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:52 am

WELL DAMN IT MAN PAY ATTENTION! Shocked
I've been pushing for tournys in Maine for a few years now. I pushed Merritt for the new bunkers and have been trying to organize tournys with said bunkers since day one.
Very little success.
But I'm all for it, i would love to see a series Maine Tourny Series? - Page 2 239610
Fluffy282
Fluffy282
Forum Prodigy
Forum Prodigy

Back to top Go down

Post by Northern Xtreme Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:21 pm

What about holding a 3 man tourny at BAP? You guys have enough bunkers to run two fields, or even incorporate the spool field.
Might be a good fund raiser for blizzard if you split profits with BAP.
Maybe talk to few other fields and see what you can make happen in the way of a series.
Northern Xtreme
Northern Xtreme
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy282 Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:08 pm

In progress
Fluffy282
Fluffy282
Forum Prodigy
Forum Prodigy

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:46 pm

How many events would you plan on? 3? 5? Would there be an event to support a northern field as well (Adventure Sports?).
Justin
Justin

http://www.daytonpaintball.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sniper71 Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:03 pm

The plan would be to get as many fields on board as possible to try and unite the entire state once again....not just having all the seperate "regions" like it is now...
Sniper71
Sniper71
Dark Lord
Dark Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:58 am

Sniper71 wrote:The plan would be to get as many fields on board as possible to try and unite the entire state once again....not just having all the seperate "regions" like it is now...

What happens if you get significant field interest but can't schedule enough events to accomodate each field? How do you determine who get's "left out"?
Justin
Justin

http://www.daytonpaintball.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy282 Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:50 am

Thats my biggest concern, scheduling around all the other events that local teams are involved in.... unless we just completely ignore NEPL, Fox, etc and say "eff you, play in your own state" Maine Tourny Series? - Page 2 933909
Fluffy282
Fluffy282
Forum Prodigy
Forum Prodigy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stanks Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:57 am

I don't see the base in Maine to play. I could easily see this get up and going and there be an event and only 4-5 teams join it.

Everything would have to go JUST perfectly. Advertising, dates, times, vendors?, venue (portland for some but common...elsewhere is good too), prizes, and costs.

I'm an optimist / realist when it comes to this series. But, I don't think it will happen unless you strictly cater to the lower levels of play (3 man beginner / rookie / 5 man rookie).

There have been some good ideas but as far as I'm concerned, for the New England Region, the paintball tournament scene is fully saturated.

YOu guys need to think how you're going to separate from the rest of the pack. What's gonna give you a competitive advantage?

It's not as simple as asking vendors to host their field for a tournament anymore.
Stanks
Stanks
Forum Prodigy
Forum Prodigy

Back to top Go down

Post by A.Perry#21 Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:27 pm

well, the bigger fields to population would really be... bangor south... maybe even augusta south.

If we advertise EARLY it wont be an issue. And as for scheduling... why not set it up for 1-2 weeks after an NEPL/Fox 4 Date. The price of the events will be just a little more then a practice weekend.
A.Perry#21
A.Perry#21
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=100000208149548

Back to top Go down

Post by Northern Xtreme Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:10 pm

You have to build it from the ground up. Yes the first few events might be a little slow, but if its run well it will grow.
I'd start with an event or two before trying to go full blown series.
Fields will want to come on board if they like what you are doing.
Northern Xtreme
Northern Xtreme
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sniper71 Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:29 pm

I for one think outside the box of normality.....All of the events dont have to cater to speedball alone....It would be fine to potentially run a gambit of woods and speed and try to mix the 2 genre's together maybe...Play at field A once in the woods, then field B on airball, etc etc... This gives people the incentive and maybe mental encouragement of playing a different style if they were to play well in there own "evnironment" against the other part of our sport. Hence we would maybe see a vast spark of interest in people playing crossover styles.

Okay im kind of babbling but thats the basic thought I had...
Sniper71
Sniper71
Dark Lord
Dark Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Stanks Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Sniper71 wrote:I for one think outside the box of normality.....All of the events dont have to cater to speedball alone....It would be fine to potentially run a gambit of woods and speed and try to mix the 2 genre's together maybe...Play at field A once in the woods, then field B on airball, etc etc... This gives people the incentive and maybe mental encouragement of playing a different style if they were to play well in there own "evnironment" against the other part of our sport. Hence we would maybe see a vast spark of interest in people playing crossover styles.

Okay im kind of babbling but thats the basic thought I had...

That's just the thing. In order for this to be successful, you have to think "normality". Everyone has to be on the same page.

Having done some woods stuff. It is EXTREMELY hard to ref. You have these refs. running around in the woods with jerseys on. The thing is, wherever that ref is, normally within the vicinity of them, there is a player. It is almost like baiting the fish to be shot. And as soon as you say that you'll cut back on the refs, that means players will easily cheat. In tournaments, there is somewhat of an honor code. That honor code is "no harm, no foul". You get shot, ditch a hit because less refs, just no good.

If you want to have a woodsball division, it would have to come much later in the scene. When the tournament is matured.

Until then, there needs to be just 1 goal. And that goal needs to be obliged before conspiring to have a larger goal.
Stanks
Stanks
Forum Prodigy
Forum Prodigy

Back to top Go down

Post by Northern Xtreme Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:52 am

+1 about the ref problems with woodsball tournys.
Thats all we used to play in the early 90's, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of being in the woods if a ref is going to have to hover over you.

I.M.O. We need series that existing teams can play in and grow it from there, so I dont agree with limiting participation to just rookies necessarily.
If 5 man teams split into 3 man teams the level of competition would be fairly even, and then new teams would learn as they went.
You are going to get the participation level up quicker allowing existing players to play.
Then maybe add a young gun or rookie division.
Northern Xtreme
Northern Xtreme
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Maine Tourny Series? - Page 2 Empty Do it and they will come

Post by dabadguy Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Hey guys back in Maine and thrilled to hear this, I've got idea's I ran a recon tourney in Cali. It used the entire field 160acre woods/speed. We posted hole punches @ dif spots 5 in all your team needs to get from one to the other punching a wrist band. 30min time per game 5man set amount games tie break for win 2,3,4 teams choose field to play final.
Then there was a thing calld store wars where players play and support a store but it can also work for fields, it united players and fields region to region... Just some things I loved and miss but I'm down for any thing that gets balls down range. Smile Casey Juarez for face book

dabadguy
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:50 pm

heres my take, make of it what you will:

Start small.

Woodsball is too difficult to ref, we don't have the numbers. Keep woodsball/scenario objective based instead and organize large games with Field 51

As for Speedball: Do a three event tournament series at Bennetts. All the entrance goes towards cash prizes/gear. Have one each month of the summer (June, July, August). We're looking to bring more people into the sport, so I'd like to cater towards middle school and high school kids. Once a month allows them to gather up enough cash to play and work around NEPL/NEXL dates. 3-man or 5-man doesn't really matter, but I think 3-man will be more successful (more teams). At the end of the summer, assess how well it went and move forward with expansion from there. I choose summer because it allows us some time to get the word out, and kids will be out of school for the summer.

I'd like to split this into two divisions. Beginner, and Advanced. We don't need kids getting blasted by Jim and his 8 million G6rs and saying "Well, we'll never win, so no point of coming back".

As for prizes, cash prize split for the Advanced division. Gear prizes for the Beginner division. I choose gear for beginners cause it will give them more incentive to play more paintball with their new gear. If a new player gets cash, he/she might just spend it elsewhere and not come back. If they get pair of i4s, or a new pod pack, they'll want to use it and play more paintball.

This is how my field back in Rochester did their tournament series, and its been very successful for the past couple years I've reffed it. Its done well enough to give out G3s, Rotors, i4s, full jersey/pant setups. We can do the same, all we need is time, patience, and really want it.

Thoughts?
Dylan
Dylan
Mod & Supporting Member
Mod & Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dabadguy Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:02 am

There are many ways to do things $ and prizes are just as much an incetive to cheat as lack of refs... That said with having no connections to teams or fields you seem to need refs as much as players.

dabadguy
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Stanks Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:23 am

Dylan wrote:heres my take, make of it what you will:

Start small.

Woodsball is too difficult to ref, we don't have the numbers. Keep woodsball/scenario objective based instead and organize large games with Field 51

As for Speedball: Do a three event tournament series at Bennetts. All the entrance goes towards cash prizes/gear. Have one each month of the summer (June, July, August). We're looking to bring more people into the sport, so I'd like to cater towards middle school and high school kids. Once a month allows them to gather up enough cash to play and work around NEPL/NEXL dates. 3-man or 5-man doesn't really matter, but I think 3-man will be more successful (more teams). At the end of the summer, assess how well it went and move forward with expansion from there. I choose summer because it allows us some time to get the word out, and kids will be out of school for the summer.

I'd like to split this into two divisions. Beginner, and Advanced. We don't need kids getting blasted by Jim and his 8 million G6rs and saying "Well, we'll never win, so no point of coming back".

As for prizes, cash prize split for the Advanced division. Gear prizes for the Beginner division. I choose gear for beginners cause it will give them more incentive to play more paintball with their new gear. If a new player gets cash, he/she might just spend it elsewhere and not come back. If they get pair of i4s, or a new pod pack, they'll want to use it and play more paintball.

This is how my field back in Rochester did their tournament series, and its been very successful for the past couple years I've reffed it. Its done well enough to give out G3s, Rotors, i4s, full jersey/pant setups. We can do the same, all we need is time, patience, and really want it.

Thoughts?

Your reasoning is sound and makes complete sense. Everything in there, I basically agree with. This should be our basic business strategy right now. We need to identify competitors of the the tournament league, concrete costs, and a sense of need for the tournament. At MAINEPB, we know we NEED the tournament. We just need to force that one everyone else.
Stanks
Stanks
Forum Prodigy
Forum Prodigy

Back to top Go down

Post by paintmann111 Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:54 am

To add to that we can also keep an excel file of teams/names to keep track of teams that should be moving up from basic to advanced. Sort of like a mini appa system that's free...
paintmann111
paintmann111
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Stanks Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:56 am

paintmann111 wrote:To add to that we can also keep an excel file of teams/names to keep track of teams that should be moving up from basic to advanced. Sort of like a mini appa system that's free...

That couldn't hurt. Prevention of sandbagging is big.
Stanks
Stanks
Forum Prodigy
Forum Prodigy

Back to top Go down

Post by dabadguy Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 pm

i like the reasoning on sand bagging as well, but you can't just think cause a team won this or that and made $ here got gear there that they should move up. I like to go aginst players who I can learn a thing or 2 from rather than just watch them. It is such a +++ when a player takes out 1 who is considered better or just looks better on paper cause they won this or that. just ask m. J. bout that wicked AAA curve ball....

dabadguy
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next